What is it?
The PHAB Awards is a new research awards program from Bayer US designed to support clinical research in pulmonary hypertension (PH). Four levels of award are available to match the career level and aspirations of each applicant. By fostering research among PH HCPs, Bayer hopes to advance PH science and care, and further develop and support the thriving community of investigators, clinicians and allied HCPs working within PH today. The PHAB eligibility, review and category criteria are modeled after the National Institutes of Health (NIH) system; entries will be graded on significance, investigator(s), innovation, approach and environment.
The research focus for the 2019 cycle will be in the following areas. Applicants may apply outside these areas of focus.
- Right heart function
- Special populations
- Therapy modulation
- Pulmonary thromboendarterectomy (PTE) or balloon pulmonary angioplasty (BPA)
- Early pulmonary hypertension
- Novel outcome measures
About the Research Grants Review Committee
William R. Auger, M.D., FCPP, FCCP, Temple University Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA
Raymond L. Benza, MD, FACC, FCCP, Allegheny Health Network, Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter Champion M.D., PhD, Southeastern Cardiology, Columbus, GA
Rajan Saggar, M.D., Ronald Reagan University of California, Los Angeles Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA
Roxana Sulica, M.D., NYU Langone Medical Center, Beth Israel Medical Center, New York, NY
Aaron Waxman, M.D., Ph.D., Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, MA
Melisa Wilson, MSN, APRN, ACNP, BC, Advanced Lung Disease @ Orlando Central Florida, Orlando, FL
How to apply for a grant
- Interested parties are invited to review the award categories and eligibility criteria before completing a Letter of Intent (LOI). The purpose of the LOI is solely to allow for screening of the grant concept; the LOI does not in any manner bind the investigator or Bayer in a contractual agreement.
- LOIs must be submitted by July 14, 2019.
- All LOIs will be reviewed by an Independent Grants Review Committee, which will comprise 6–8 members, representing experts from PH clinical and academic medicine.
- Following the review by the Committee, successful applicants will be notified and invited to submit a Full Proposal by August 31, 2019.
- The Full Proposals will be reviewed by the Committee and successful applicants will be notified by September 23, 2019.
- Awardees will be invited to an Awards Dinner to be held in October 2019 during the CHEST Annual Meeting.
Dates and deadlines
PHAB Awards Timeline – 2019
Key dates to note
- Letter of Intent deadline: July 14, 2019
- Full Proposal deadline: August 31, 2019
- Awardees informed: September 23, 2019
- Awards dinner: October 2019
Bayer is a Life Science company with a more than 150-year history and core competencies in the areas of health care and agriculture. With our innovative products, we are contributing to finding solutions to some of the major challenges of our time.
Bayer is committed to meeting the needs of patients in our therapeutic areas of focus, including cardiovascular disease, pulmonary hypertension, hematology, oncology, multiple sclerosis and women’s healthcare.