About the Program
Jump to section
What is it ?
The PHAB Awards is a research awards program from Bayer US designed to support clinical research in pulmonary hypertension (PH). By fostering clinical research among PH HCPs, Bayer hopes to advance PH science and patient care. The PHAB Awards are intended to develop and support the thriving community of investigators, clinicians, and allied HCPs working within PH today. The PHAB eligibility, review and category criteria are modeled after the National Institutes of Health (NIH) system; entries will be graded on significance, investigator(s), innovation, approach and environment.
The research focus for the 2021 cycle will be in the following areas. Applicants may apply outside these areas of focus.
- Right heart function
- Special populations
- Therapy modulation
- Pulmonary thromboendarterectomy (PTE) or balloon pulmonary angioplasty (BPA)
- Early pulmonary hypertension
- Novel outcome measures
About the Research Grants Review Committee
The 2021 Grants Review Committee:
- Neal Chaisson, MD, Respiratory Institute at Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH
- Vinicio De Jesus Perez, MD, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA
- Mardi Gomberg, MD, George Washington University Hospital, Washington, DC
- Daniel Grinnan, MD, VCU Medical Center, Richmond, VA
- Peter Leary, MD, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
- John J Ryan, MD, BDh, BAO, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT
- Marc Simon, MD, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, CA
- Fernando Torres, MD, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX
- Ronald Zolty, MD, PhD, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE
How to apply for a grant
- Interested parties are invited to review the award categories and eligibility criteria before completing a Letter of Intent (LOI). The purpose of the LOI is solely to allow for screening of the grant concept; the LOI does not in any manner bind the investigator or Bayer in a contractual agreement.
- LOIs can be submitted now. The deadline for the submission of LOIs is 1st November 2021.
- All LOIs will be reviewed by an Independent Grants Review Committee, which will comprise 7–9 members, representing experts from PH clinical and academic medicine.
- Following the review by the Committee, successful applicants will be notified and invited to submit a Full Proposal, inclusive of a budget.
- The Full Proposals will be reviewed by the Committee and successful applicants will be notified.
- Successful proposals will undergo a Bayer fair market assessment.
- If possible, Awardees will be invited to an Awards Dinner.
Dates and deadlines
PHAB Awards Timeline – 2021/2022
- Deadline for submission of LOIs: 1st November 2021
- Grants Review Committee LOI review: November / December 2021
- Applicants informed of decision: 15th December 2021
- Applicants develop Full Proposals: December 2021 / January 2022
- Deadline for submission of Full Proposals: 1st February 2022
- GRC reviews Full Proposals: February /March 2022
- Applicants notified of decision: 1st April 2022
- Awards event: ATS, San Francisco, May 2022 (Covid-19 permitting)
Current and former grant recipients
Current grant recipients (2021)
- Mona Alotaibi, MD, Fellow in Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA
- Samuel Rayner, MD, Acting instructor, University of Washington Center for Lung Biology, Seattle, WA
- Nicholas Shelburne, MD, Fellow, Division of Allergy, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN
- Hilary DuBrock, MD, MMSc, Assistant Professor, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
- Andrea Frump, MS, PhD, Assistant Professor of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN
- Stephen Chan, MD, PhD, Professor of Medicine; Director of the Vascular Medicine Institute; Director of the Center for Pulmonary Vascular Biology and Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and UPMC, Pittsburgh, PA
- Jason Yuan, MD, PhD, Professor and Director, Section of Physiology, Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA
Former grant recipients (2019)
- Lea Matura, PhD, Associate Professor, School of Nursing, University of Pennsylvania, PA
- Yogesh Reddy, MD, MSc, Instructor of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
- Sonia Jasuja, MD, Fellow Physician, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, CA
- Michael Insel, MD, Pulmonary Critical Care Fellow, University of Arizona Department of Medicine
- Andrew Bryant, MD, Assistant Professor, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN
- Francisco Contijoch, PhD, Assistant Professor, University of California at San Diego, CA
- Maria Trivieri, MD, PhD, Assistant Professor, Mount Sinai Hospital, Icahn School of Medicine, New York, NY
- Manreet Kanwar, MD, Associate Professor, Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA
Bayer is a Life Science company with a more than 150-year history and core competencies in the areas of health care and agriculture. With our innovative products, we are contributing to finding solutions to some of the major challenges of our time.
Bayer is committed to meeting the needs of patients in our therapeutic areas of focus, including cardiovascular disease, pulmonary hypertension, hematology, oncology, multiple sclerosis and women’s healthcare.