About the Program
What is it ?
The PHAB Awards is a research awards program from Bayer US designed to support clinical research in pulmonary hypertension (PH). By fostering clinical research among PH HCPs, Bayer hopes to advance PH science and patient care. The PHAB Awards are intended to support the thriving community of investigators, clinicians, and allied HCPs working within PH today. The PHAB eligibility, review and category criteria are modeled after the National Institutes of Health (NIH) system; entries will be graded on significance, investigator(s), innovation, approach and environment.
The research focus for the 2022/2023 cycle will be in the following areas. Applicants may apply outside these areas of focus.
- Right heart function
- Special populations
- Therapy modulation
- Pulmonary thromboendarterectomy (PTE) or balloon pulmonary angioplasty (BPA)
- Early pulmonary hypertension
- Novel outcome measures
About the Grants Review Committee
The 2022/2023 Grants Review Committee comprises:
- Lynette Brown, MD, Intermountain Medical Center, Murray, UT
- Neal Chaisson, MD, Respiratory Institute at Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH
- Vinicio De Jesus Perez, MD, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA
- Jean Elwing, MD, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH
- Mardi Gomberg, MD, George Washington University Hospital, Washington, DC
- Anna R. Hemnes, MD, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN
- Sandeep Sahay, MD, Houston Methodist, Houston, TX
- Therese Sargent, ANP-BC, HonorHealth John C. Lincoln Medical Center, Phoenix, AZ
- Thenappan Thenappan, MD, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
How to apply for a grant
- Interested parties are invited to review the award categories and eligibility criteria before completing a Letter of Intent (LOI). The purpose of the LOI is solely to allow for screening of the grant concept; the LOI does not in any manner bind the investigator or Bayer in a contractual agreement.
- LOIs can be submitted now. The deadline for the submission of LOIs is 15th October 2022.
- All LOIs will be reviewed by an Independent Grants Review Committee, which will comprise 7–9 members, representing experts from PH clinical and academic medicine.
- Following the review by the Committee, successful applicants will be notified and invited to submit a Full Proposal, inclusive of a budget.
- The Full Proposals will be reviewed by the Committee and successful applicants will be notified.
- Successful proposals will undergo a Bayer fair market value assessment.
Dates and deadlines
PHAB Awards Timeline – 2022/2023
- Deadline for submission of LOIs: 15th October 2022
- Grants Review Committee LOI review: October / November 2022
- Applicants informed of decision: 30th November 2022
- Applicants develop Full Proposals: December 2022 / January 2023
- Deadline for submission of Full Proposals: 24th January 2023
- GRC reviews Full Proposals: February / March 2023
- Applicants notified of decision: 31st March 2023
- Grants Recognition Meeting: Date to be determined
Bayer is a Life Science company with a more than 150-year history and core competencies in the areas of health care and agriculture. With our innovative products, we are contributing to finding solutions to some of the major challenges of our time.
Bayer is committed to meeting the needs of patients in our therapeutic areas of focus, including cardiovascular disease, pulmonary hypertension, hematology, oncology, multiple sclerosis and women’s healthcare.