About the Program
What is it ?
The PHAB Awards is a research awards program from Bayer US designed to support clinical research in pulmonary hypertension (PH). By fostering clinical research among PH HCPs, Bayer hopes to advance PH science and patient care. The PHAB Awards are intended to develop and support the thriving community of investigators, clinicians, and allied HCPs working within PH today. The PHAB eligibility, review and category criteria are modeled after the National Institutes of Health (NIH) system; entries will be graded on significance, investigator(s), innovation, approach and environment
The research focus for the 2020 cycle will be in the following areas. Applicants may apply outside these areas of focus.
- Right heart function
- Special populations
- Therapy modulation
- Pulmonary thromboendarterectomy (PTE) or balloon pulmonary angioplasty (BPA)
- Early pulmonary hypertension
- Novel outcome measures
About the Research Grants Review Committee
We would like to thank our 2020 committee for their hard work reviewing letters of intent and full proposals and selecting the 2020 awardees:
William Auger, MD, FCCP, FCPP, Temple University Medical Center, Philadelphia PA
Richard Channick, MD, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA
Robert P Frantz MD, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
Anna R. Hemnes, MD, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN
Tim Lahm, MD, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN
Peter Leary MD, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
Stephen C. Mathai, MD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD
John J Ryan, MD, BDh, BAO, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT
Traci Stewart, RN, MSN, CHFN, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
The 2021 Grants Review Committee will be announced in due course.
How to apply for a grant
- Interested parties are invited to review the award categories and eligibility criteria before completing a Letter of Intent (LOI). The purpose of the LOI is solely to allow for screening of the grant concept; the LOI does not in any manner bind the investigator or Bayer in a contractual agreement.
- LOIs can be submitted now. The deadline for the submission of LOIs is 1st November 2021.
- All LOIs will be reviewed by an Independent Grants Review Committee, which will comprise 7–9 members, representing experts from PH clinical and academic medicine.
- Following the review by the Committee, successful applicants will be notified and invited to submit a Full Proposal, inclusive of a budget.
- The Full Proposals will be reviewed by the Committee and successful applicants will be notified.
- Successful proposals will undergo a Bayer fair market assessment.
- If possible, Awardees will be invited to an Awards Dinner.
Dates and deadlines
PHAB Awards Timeline – 2021/2022
- Deadline for submission of LOIs: 1st November 2021
- Grants Review Committee LOI review: November / December 2021
- Applicants informed of decision: December 15th 2021
- Applicants develop Full Proposals: December 2021 / January 2022
- Deadline for submission of Full Proposals: 1st February 2022
- GRC reviews Full Proposals: February /March 2022
- Applicants notified of decision: 1st April 2022
- Awards event: ATS, San Francisco, May 2022
Bayer is a Life Science company with a more than 150-year history and core competencies in the areas of health care and agriculture. With our innovative products, we are contributing to finding solutions to some of the major challenges of our time.
Bayer is committed to meeting the needs of patients in our therapeutic areas of focus, including cardiovascular disease, pulmonary hypertension, hematology, oncology, multiple sclerosis and women’s healthcare.