About the Program
What is it ?
The PHAB Awards is a research awards program from Bayer US designed to support clinical research in pulmonary hypertension (PH). By fostering clinical research among PH HCPs, Bayer hopes to advance PH science, and patient care. The PHAB Awards are intended to develop and support the thriving community of investigators, clinicians, and allied HCPs working within PH today. The PHAB eligibility, review and category criteria are modeled after the National Institutes of Health (NIH) system; entries will be graded on significance, investigator(s), innovation, approach and environment.
The research focus for the 2020 cycle will be in the following areas. Applicants may apply outside these areas of focus.
- Right heart function
- Special populations
- Therapy modulation
- Pulmonary thromboendarterectomy (PTE) or balloon pulmonary angioplasty (BPA)
- Early pulmonary hypertension
- Novel outcome measures
About the Research Grants Review Committee
William Auger, MD, FCCP, FCPP, Temple University Medical Center, Philadelphia PA
Richard Channick, MD, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA
Robert P Frantz MD, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
Anna R. Hemnes, MD, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN
Tim Lahm, MD, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN
Stephen C. Mathai, MD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD
John J Ryan, MD, BDh, BAO, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT
Traci Stewart, RN, MSN, CHFN, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
How to apply for a grant
- Interested parties are invited to review the award categories and eligibility criteria before completing a Letter of Intent (LOI). The purpose of the LOI is solely to allow for screening of the grant concept; the LOI does not in any manner bind the investigator or Bayer in a contractual agreement.
- LOIs can be submitted now. The deadline for the submission of LOIs is 1st December 2020.
- All LOIs will be reviewed by an Independent Grants Review Committee, which will comprise 7–9 members, representing experts from PH clinical and academic medicine.
- Following the review by the Committee, successful applicants will be notified and invited to submit a Full Proposal, inclusive of a budget.
- The Full Proposals will be reviewed by the Committee and successful applicants will be notified.
- Successful proposals will undergo a Bayer fair market assessment.
- If possible, Awardees will be invited to an Awards Dinner.
Dates and deadlines
PHAB Awards Timeline – 2020/2021
- Deadline for submission of LOIs: 1st December 2020
- Grants Review Committee LOI review: November / December 2020
- Applicants informed of decision: Mid-December 2020
- Applicants develop Full Proposals: December 2020 / January 2021
- Deadline for submission of Full Proposals: 12th February 2021
- GRC reviews Full Proposals: February /March 2021
- Applicants notified of decision: 15th April 2021
- Awards event (Covid-19 allowing): ATS, San Diego, 15th May 2021
Bayer is a Life Science company with a more than 150-year history and core competencies in the areas of health care and agriculture. With our innovative products, we are contributing to finding solutions to some of the major challenges of our time.
Bayer is committed to meeting the needs of patients in our therapeutic areas of focus, including cardiovascular disease, pulmonary hypertension, hematology, oncology, multiple sclerosis and women’s healthcare.